Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Frankenstein Reading Response

I find it very interesting that both Victor Frankenstein and his monster share the same desire for knowledge, yet are repulsed when they discover what they had searched for. Frankenstein had pined for the knowledge of creation, yet the monster which he created disturbed him. The monster desired to know the details about his creation/creator, as well as the De Lacey family, whom he considered his own in certain respects. He yearned to know what company felt like and how/why humans behaved the way they did. The monster, however, was deeply upset by the knowledge of his creator abandoning him. Certain aspects of human nature that were presented in novels that the monster read also confused and bewildered him. Shelley draws a strong parallel between the creator and the creation that distinctly resembles a father-son relationship. A large part of Victor's persona seems to be alive within his creature, despite the lack of actual blood connection. Shelley's voice also comes through in this comparison. She is linked to her novel, yet distances herself from its contents. Her eagerness for knowledge appears to dissipate as she discovers the horrors that her writing presents.

I also think it is interesting that in his narrative, the monster speaks eloquently. He uses proper grammar and sophisticated speech. He also possesses rather human emotions despite his rather inhuman appearance. Shelley is questioning the nature of creation by using this to her advantage.


--Emily T.

1 comment:

  1. I like your response. I had considered Victor's and the monster's similarities, but I had never taken into account the way they both yearned for knowledge and were horrified by their findings. This is another interesting parallel for me to consider.
    -Audrey T.

    ReplyDelete