Tuesday, December 7, 2010

From Childhood to Responsibility (Old Repost)

  One of the more subtle, but powerful, issues Alice deals with in the novel "Alice in Wonderland" is the transition from the blissful ignorance of childhood into the realization that every action has consequences, and that the world is a much more dangerous place than previously thought. This is shown by the carefree actions Alice takes, not entirely worrying about the dangers they possess. This continues to slowly deteriorate until the breaking point where the Queen declares "Off with it head!" It is here that Alice awakens, and fully realizes the consequences of he actions. While this point in our life is almost never as severe, and always varies, the realization of this concept can often be scary and hard to take. However, as we mature, we learn to cope and simply deal with our actions and become more responsible human beings, in order to perhaps avoid a fate which almost befell upon Alice.

-Jordan H.

8 comments:

  1. Isn't it growing up a scary thought? I mean, no longer are you protected from harm; you are now on your own, forced to fend for yourself. Although some people, like myself, have been forced to take care of themselves since they were young and are used to independence, others go through unbearable emotions and suffer immense frights their first time alone.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Reading this really makes me realize how close we are to our future; we can almost touch it. This fear is what will drive us to strive for what we want. Although fear can hold us back, we must learn to use the fear for our advantage and like Alice we must learn to navigate through Wonderland with our heads still intact.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We are all going through the same transition that Alice under goes. As grown up and mature as we may think we are, we are going to be deeply surprised when we are left on our own in the world to discover how to survive life without rules. For some of us responsibility will come from this experience; we will be able to adaquetly manage our time an work load and develope very effective work ethics. For others however, we will fall victum to our new found freedom, throw away our responsibilities and misplace our priorities. For those of us who take this bad turn, it could be detromental to our future. I hope the best for all of us as we break away from childhood and begin to grow into adults and work toward our life long goals.
    -Jaclynn Enriquez

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jordan,
    I agree that a major theme in Alice is that Alice must grow up and make that transition that you describe--however, I believe a large part of the story is not only her maturing, but learning to disregard old beliefs she had. I feel strongly that Alice went into her Wonderland with this notion that she was better than most people--this is shown through the way she speaks about others. She also seems to be slightly hypocritical--she constantly gives others advice but never follows it. I think this is similar to what we all have to go through at this time in our lives. We must throw out old beliefs we had in favor for better developed ones.
    -Geena C.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I still want to be a kid although I know my future is coming up fast. I too somewhat afraid of what is too come but welcome what does come with open arms. AT least I know I can go forward without fear of losing my head.
    -Kevin P

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree with your post except for your mentioning of Alice's transition as subtle. Throughout my reading of the novel, this theme of lost innocence and crashing reality was very evident. There wasn't really a chapter where Alice wasn't confused or wasn't being faced with something she'd never seen before. It made myself, and everyone I assume, really focus on the fact that we are growing up and many challenges lay in our near future.

    -Bailey

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I agree with Jaclynn's first sentence. Especially because this is our senior year, we are going through the same transition as Alice in that we are moving from high school to college. Here we have to mature in order to make it in college. It's a scary thought.
    -Kaylynn B

    ReplyDelete