Sunday, May 15, 2011

Leah's Where I'm From Poem

I am from The Verse,
from Betty Crocker cakes and soybeans.
I am from requited love
   (disastrous and unaccepted).
I am from Independence Day memories,
the protruding bellies
that yearn for the taste
of protein and compassion.

I'm from Lumumba and refuge,
   from languages and curious questions.
I'm from malarial parasites
  and mosquito nets,
  from "freedom" and "I love you".
I'm from white skin
 with African heart
 and politics on the mind.

I'm from the hunt and the primitive,
from metamorphosis and sin.
From delirious fever,
that convoluted innocence,
the name Price, strewn across Georgia and Kilanga.

--Emily T.

3 comments:

  1. Hahaha, I really like this post. "I'm from white skin with African heart." I especially like the first stanza, it seems so warm and happy.
    -Christiana Rodriguez

    ReplyDelete
  2. Emily, I love this! I think it really captured Leah's spirit and where she is from. You're a great writer and it really shows here. :)

    -Elise

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is so good, Em! I would have never thought of doing the Where I'm From poem for one of the characters, and even if I had, there is no way I could have captured the essence of the character the way you captured Leah's here. I could actually imagine Leah writing this poem, it is absolutely fantastic!
    -Audrey T.

    ReplyDelete